Choice Hotels Canada
In the context of a massive brand platform overhaul that took place in the spring of 2015, Choice Hotels International developed the following tagline: “You always have a choice.”.
This tagline achieved three things:
- Refers to the choices people make in life - specifically, the choices they make to take a trip, to see their family, to connect with an old friend, to close a business deal in person.
- Refers to the choice guests have amongst the family of Choice brands.
- Ties in with, and thus reinforces, the umbrella brand name.
In developing the adaptation, we considered:
- The intent of the re-brand and its many possible executions.
- The localization of this re-brand and future campaigns with the following in mind: Cultural integration, Language that incites emotion, Legal implications.
Braque presented three options with one strong recommendation, which was the option selected by Choice Hotels Canada: “La liberté de choisir.” Literal English Translation: The freedom to choose. English intent: You have the freedom to choose / The freedom to choose is yours.
While it does not explicitly use the 2nd person like the English version, it is it is implicit and clear that the freedom to choose belongs to the consumer we’re addressing. Secondly, it not only conveys the notion of choice, but also the benefit of having the choice, and the empowerment that it provides – i.e. the freedom to decide as you wish; to stay, or to go, and also which hotel amongst the Choice family of brands best suits your needs.
- Staying power and speaks to the heart
- Purposely uses “choice“ as a verb instead of a noun (no risk in mis-interpretation that we are translating “Choice“ to “choix“)
- The use of “liberté“ is good and resonates positively with Quebec francophones, with no political undertones
Braque being the Agency of record for Choice Hotels Canada and their “go-to” agency for adaptation/translation needs for the Canadian French- speaking markets, it came naturally to the management team of Choice Hotels Canada to submit our work to Choice Hotels International for French markets across the world. We are proud to say that “La liberté de choisir.” is now the official French tagline used worldwide.